Thursday 9 January 2014

Pikey-Lakey Mummu


I can’t stop thinking about Mummu 
...and what she’s lived through.  
Pike Lake at one time didn’t have power.  
When I was a kid we had a “party-line”, 
and when my grandparents got married out there, they used lanterns.  
To get to Pike Lake they rode in a horse and carriage 
over rocky terrain from a completely different direction!  
Mummu’s mother wore a corset!  
Now Mummu’s nearly 94 years old and looks at my art and thinks:
 “I don’t get these modern abstract paintings.” And I understand why. 
  Just because someone has lived through the times, seen it all, done it all 
doesn’t mean they are modern themselves.  
People grow up with experiences, not always understandings.  
And even though she doesn’t get it, she’s not discouraging, she’s just being honest. 
Honest from her era.


No comments:

Post a Comment